Friday, February 8, 2013

Lordy, Lordy Look Who's... Staying 39 For the Next Ten Years


In less than 36 hours I will turn 40.

Remember when you were a kid and 40 was like the oldest number you could think of? The same age as your grandparents and… dirt?
Remember when you were in college and 40 was still like the oldest number you think of? The same age as your parents and… *responsible* people?

Yeah. That 40. Dirt. Responsible.  Old. That will be me the day after tomorrow.

No one will ever be able to say I died young. Sigh. Of course, The Who’s Roger Daltrey was belting out “I hope I die before I get old…” when he was twenty-one, and is still singing it now in his 60s. Evidently did not take his own advice.

I have wonderful friends. Ones who try to console me and tell me that “40 is the new 20!”  But it’s kind of like telling your pal that “orange is the new black!” when she wears a hideous orange sweater to a nightclub: there's nothing that can be done about it, so you might as well offer encouragement.
My husband is probably most astute. A couple of weeks ago he told me not to feel bad about turning 40, after all, I regularly do stupid stuff like I’m still in my 20s. Yeah, that’s pretty true.

My whole life, I never really understood why women embraced the whole “39 and holding” mindset. But I can honestly say I do now:  I DON’T WANT TO BE IN MY FORTIES!!!
Why? Maybe I’m afraid someone’s going to tell me to act my age. Or maybe  40 is STILL the oldest number I can think of.

So I’ve decided I’m going to live this, instead:

“The best years of a woman’s life – the ten years between 39 and 40.” - Unknown

And my ten start now.
 

2 comments:

  1. Why would someone tell you to act your age? You never have before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janie we all have to face it sooner or later. I can honestly say though life is much better than it was in my 20's. If u are honest with you can say the same I am sure. At least we got shit figured out now right and we are that much closer to the kids moving out. I wouldnt say 40 is the new 20 bit it can be the new 30. Easy for me to say I am ONLY 36 ;)

    ReplyDelete