Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Countdown to the Marathon - T Minus 20 Weeks


Another week of training forthe Disney Marathon coming up on January 13, 2013. My training log for T Minus 20 weeks (August 22-28):


Miles ran:  20 (6 mi, 6mi, 3mi, 5mi)

Miles scheduled: 24 (but in my defense, I was tapering for a Half Marathon race this weekend and didn’t want to do a long run)

Cross training: Pilates x 2

My weight:  X – 1. Yay, lost one pound!

Running song o’ the week:  “No Air” by Jordan Sparks (my tribute to the awful humidity)


Audiobook:  7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. It’s the abridged version, but I’m really enjoying this book. Should finish it this week. 

General Notes:  My legs were just so tired this week and I had breathing trouble with some of my more humid runs. I am looking forward to cooler, less-humid weather! I’m also looking forward to the kids going to school so I can get into a regular routine. I had my first “dark moment” yesterday when I could barely get through a 5 mile run – thinking why in the world am I doing this?  It’s not the last time that thought will occur to me, I assure you.

But I did get in two sessions of Pilates this week – my first ever. Loved it! If I could get in three Pilates or two Pilates and one Yoga every week I think that would be the perfect amount of cross training.  I like Pilates because it is “go get ‘em” style class – working the body (hard!) from beginning to end. Yoga was more of a “pausing & centering” style – still hard work but also about slowing down and breathing.  I like both of them but I am definitely more sore after Pilates.

(If anyone wants a comparison of Pilates vs. Yoga for runners, my friend Chantel (who teaches both and also runs) wrote one on her blog: http://www.raceutopia.com/uncategorized/yoga-vs-pilates-whats-the-difference/ )

Virginia Beach Rock & Roll Half this Sunday. Looking forward to a steady run – nothing fast or fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment