Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Road to Publication - What Happens After "The Call"

So, evidently once you write a book and the publisher accepts it and agrees to publish it, you have to do more than just sit there and wait for the royalty checks to come rolling in.

Go figure.

Since I got “the call” a couple of weeks ago that Harlequin wants to publish my book, I’ve had to convince my four kids (and some of my most-supportive/naive friends, bless them) that I am not going to be famous just because I publish one book.  Kiddo #3 wanted to know if people were going to stop me on the street and want my autograph (and, you know, perhaps his too…  since he’s my son).

I think I put the issue to rest by taking them to the library and pointing out the 1000s of books there. Could they picture the face of one single author enough to be able to recognize him or her in the street and ask for an autograph?

Kiddo #3 again: Sure, Mom. You. I love that kid. Seriously.

The point is, I don’t think there’s any danger of the paparazzi following me around any time soon. Or ever.  As a matter of fact, this is the most accurate statement I’ve seen about writing in a long time:


But don’t get me wrong, it’s still exciting.  Especially on days like today:  I received my request from Harlequin to complete the Art Fact Sheet for my book .  

 They need all sorts of details. A brief synopsis. Detailed description of the characters, settings, and themes (which, interestingly, are from choices in a pull down menu --  evidently, there really isn’t anything new under the sun).  They even want celebrity look-alikes for my characters, if I can provide them.  Um, you mean like Shane West?


Hehehehe. No problem.  

I also have to write a couple of scenes, not that necessarily happen in the manuscript itself, that capture the book’s essence.  All of this to give the artists an idea of what my book is about because they don’t actually read it. Which I guess is right, but not what I expected. I'm so excited to see what they come up with. But that probably won't be until near the end of 2013.
.
I also have to create an Online Retailer Biography - info sent to booksellers such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. and will appear on their websites about me when my book is released. They want to know everything that can be known about me!!  In 500 characters or less.  :-)

Next week, I head to Atlanta for the Romance Writers of America national conference. I’m excited that I’ll be able to meet my editor face-to-face, as well as a number of writing friends I’ve been talking to for months now.  I’ll get to attend multiple writing workshops, a Harlequin-author-only dinner, and even a… pajama party?  Ummmm… okay.

It’s a little nerve-racking, navigating this road to publication. But exciting most of all.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I am in your same boat. Trying to do my own Art Fact sheet. It's worse than writing the dang book! I've worked it all up in Word so I can copy and paste it. They didn't have REAPER in the little pull-down window anywhere though :) I had to settle for my other two supernatural beasties: angels and demons. It's awesome though, not doubt. Congrats! Have fun at RWA. I chose RT this year and already signed up for New Orleans next year. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh yeah, Lisa, I think your's is quite a bit harder than mine. You have to make sure they get the whole world right! Mine, they just stick some tall, dark, handsome guy on the cover with a gun, and they're set. :) Can't wait to see both of ours.

      Delete