Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Beware of Running Zombies... in tutus?

Tomorrow I head to South Florida for a 200-mile relay race. It’s part of the Ragnar Relay series – a company which holds these type races all over the country. I am part of a 12-person team, with one of my best girlfriends, Meg, an old high-school buddy, Vinnie, and ten other people I have never met . We are running from Miami to Key West – each person running 3 legs of 5-10 miles.

This is my second Ragnar Relay. My first was in September of last year, an all-women’s team called, “Does this Tutu Make Me Look Fast?”  Evidently it did, because we took third place. For the Key West race though, I have moved to the other end of the spectrum – from Tutus to Zombies. My team this weekend is “ZombiesAreEverywhere.com” (yeah, corporate sponsor… so what? We sold out to the man… er, dead person.)

 Team Tutu in DC after 200 miles...
   
Team Zombie after 200 miles?

I love the Ragnar races. They force you to run under circumstances you would rarely choose: in the middle of the night, along unfamiliar paths, with a bunch of strangers, while you are undernourished and overtired. It’s different and exciting and hard.  And I love it. As a matter of fact, just a few days ago I posted on Twitter my best memory of 2011 was “Running 7 miles down an unfamiliar road by myself in the fog & rain at 3 o'clock in the morning - in a tutu.”
Ragnar is kind of “Hard Running Meets Block Party.”  And it’s great because everyone there is as crazy as you. So I’m excited about this adventure to start off 2012. Also, did I mention Key West? Don’t worry, I’ll have a mojito for each of you.

1 comment:

  1. Ah that sounds amazing! And everyone knows that fast zombies are the most awesome kind :D

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete